PWQ Local Agency Call for Projects

2017 Call for Projects

CDOT is announcing the 2017 Call for Permanent Water Quality (PWQ) projects. Final applications are due by Monday, June 26, 2017 at 6 am. CDOT is willing to review and/or meet to discuss applications.  Please send requests to Jean Cordova at [email protected] or (303) 692-3570.

The goal of this program is help finance PWQ stormwater projects that support local agency’s efforts and have benefits to water quality, while also treating CDOT’s MS4 area. CDOT wants to build PWQ control measures (i.e., best management practices) more effectively and efficiently, and believes this can best be accomplished by partnering with local agencies on mutually beneficial projects that focus on more holistic approaches to PWQ treatment.

CDOT’s Mitigation Pool Fund is required by the CDOT Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System (MS4) Permit (COS000005). Much of the criteria in the application guidance is based on CDOT’s MS4 Permit, as all selected projects must meet CDOT’s MS4 requirements. The Mitigation Pool Committee, which selects projects, will also consider overall water quality benefit, partnerships, local watershed priority, and other project components.

*CDOT advertised projects seeking to apply for funds will find CDOT-specific information on the CDOT PWQ website.

Pre-Application Meeting

CDOT held a pre-application meeting on May 11, 2017. A copy of the power point presentation given during the pre-application is available here:
2017 Spring Pre-Application Meeting Presentation


Please contact Jean Cordova (303-692-3570) with any questions or to schedule a time to discuss your application. CDOT planners and local agency coordinators are also an important resource. Please check back often as frequently asked questions (see tabs below) will be continually updated.

Selection Process and Schedule

  • April 2017: Call for stormwater project applications
  • Applicants are strongly encouraged to attend the pre-proposal meeting (see details above), either in person or remotely.
  • Applicants can contact Jean Cordova through June 26, 2017. (See details and contact information above.)
  • Final applications are due by 6 a.m. Monday, June 26, 2017.
  • The PWQ Program Manager confirms that all applications meet threshold criteria.
  • The MPC scores applications.
  • By early August 2017: The MPC interviews top applicants (if needed).
  • By late August 2017: The MPC selects projects, notifies applicants, and starts the inter-governmental agreement process.
  • One month after execution of the inter-governmental agreement, the project team must submit a detailed project schedule (see Requirements for Funding below).

Application, Guidance, and Resources

It is important to review the following information before submitting an application:


CDOT PWQ Program Website contains manuals, forms, and other PWQ Program Information

Resources for local agencies: 

Resources on federal and state requirements:

Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions for Local Agencies Interested in State only Funding (Defederalization) For Permanent Water Quality (PWQ) Mitigation Fund Projects

Does a project have to be located within CDOT’s MS4 area?

The project does not have to be located within CDOT’s MS4 area, but it must treat a significant portion of CDOT's MS4 area.  Significant will be evaluated based on current applications.  Projects with the highest percent of CDOT area treated will score more points than those with the lowest portion of CDOT MS4 area treated for this criteria.

Do projects located in-stream qualify for receiving Mitigation Pool Funding?
No. Projects located in-stream do not qualify for Mitigation Pool funding. Treatment must occur prior to entering a Water of the State (i.e. before the high water mark) for the project to be eligible to receive Mitigation Pool Funds. If a project includes both types of treatment, CDOT may provide Mitigation Pool funds for the portion of a project providing treatment prior to entering a Water of the State.  For example, if a project proposes to build and off-line extended detention basin and stabilize an adjacent stream, the project could apply to use mitigation pool dollars to build the detention basin, but funds could not be used for the stream stabilization portion of the project. CDOT encourages applicants to contact the NDRD Program Manager for questions to determine eligibility on projects that may have some components that are eligible and some that are not.

Can mitigation pool funds be used to build flood control facilities?
No; mitigation pool funds cannot be used to build flood detention facilities. However, mitigation pool funds may be used to retrofit an existing flood control basin if the purpose of the retrofit is to provide water quality. Additionally, full-spectrum detention would be eligible to apply for mitigation pool funds, but could only receive funds for the water quality portion of the facility.

Why do I need to follow Federal requirements like NEPA and Super-circular?
A large portion of CDOT funds come from the Federal Highway Administration and there are federal requirements associated with using those funds. A large portion of the Mitigation Pool funds are therefore federal funds and must follow federal requirements.  Federal requirements may include, but are not limited to: NEPA, contractor selection, Doing Business As (DBA) requirements, right of way acquisition, etc. Each region has one or more local agency contacts that can help you navigate the federal process.  Please see the Contact tab. 


PWQ Program Manager: Vacant
Interim Contact:
Jean Cordova
[email protected]

The following Region Water Quality Specialists can assist in discussions of proposed PWQ Program projects.

Region Water Quality Specialists

Region 1 
Susie Hagie
[email protected]

Basil Ryer
[email protected]

Region 2
Troy Rice
[email protected] 

Region 3
Gary Spinuzzi
[email protected] 

Region 4
Nick Schipanski
[email protected] 

Region 5
Swipe table to see more content

The following CDOT local agency coordinators can assist in navigating CDOT and federal project requirements.

Local Agency Coordinators

Region 1
Carol Anderson
[email protected]

Wendy Williams
[email protected] 

John Vetterling
[email protected]

Joy French
[email protected]

Region 2
Shane Ferguson
[email protected] 

Scott Dalton
[email protected]

Donald Scanga
[email protected]

Region 3
Jason Huddle
[email protected] 

Region 4
Jake Schuch
[email protected] 

Katelyn Smith
[email protected]

Katrina Kloberdanz
[email protected]

Bryce Reeves
[email protected] 

Region 5
Robert Shanks
[email protected] 
Swipe table to see more content
Contact Us
  • Jean Cordova
    Water Quality Section Manager

  • Rachel Hansgen
    Water Quality Specialist

  • Bob McDade
    Water Quality Specialist

  • Tripp Minges
    CDPHE Liaison

  • Jeremiah Unger
    Water Quality Specialist

Report an Illegal Discharge
  • Hotline: 303-512-4H2O

  • Illegal discharges (aka, illicit discharges) emit into CDOT's storm drain system pollutants (e.g., oil, grease, fertilizers, pesticides, grass clippings, leaves, or odd smelling/colored substances).

    Learn more.
Colorado: The Official State Web Portal