I-25 and Santa Fe Drive
This project began in June 2014 and is scheduled for completion in spring 2017. This is the third phase of improvements in this area. Phases 1.2 and 1.3 were combined as a bridge replacement project that replaced the structures on I-25 over Santa Fe Drive.
In phase 1.4, crews also will construct a bridge over the South Platte River to carry southbound I-25 off-ramp traffic onto southbound Santa Fe Drive.
In addition, this project will:
- Widen Alameda Avenue at Santa Fe Drive/Kalamath.
- Improve safety for the traveling public in this area.
- Help to reduce congestion and improve mobility in this heavily traveled section of the metro area.
- Cost: $24 million
- Contractor(s): Hamon Contractors, Inc.
January 2017: From 9 p.m. on Friday, Jan. 27 to noon on Monday, Jan. 30, westbound Alameda Avenue will be closed between Santa Fe Drive and Cherokee Street to accommodate the installation of pipe and paving operations. This closure is a part of the I-25 and Santa Fe Drive project.
- Cherokee Street north to Bayaud Avenue
- Bayaud Avenue west to Santa Fe Drive
- Santa Fe Drive north to Ellsworth Avenue
- Ellsworth Avenue west to Kalamath Street
- Kalamath Street south to rejoin Alameda Avenue
Northbound Santa Fe Drive will be reduced to one lane during this time to accommodate paving operations at Alameda Avenue. Motorists should expect delays when driving through the area. Alternate routes are advised.
February/March 2017: All lanes will open at Alameda Avenue and Santa Fe Drive.
Spring 2017: Expected completion date for lane closures on Alameda Avenue for top mat paving and final pavement markings
Late 2016: Ramp metering became functional.
April 2016: In April,the City and County of Denver shut down Mississippi Avenue from Santa Fe Drive to South Broadway for a waterline installation and paving work. There were signed detours in place. For eastbound traffic, the detour route was Platte River Drive to West Iowa Avenue to Broadway. For westbound traffic, the detour route was Broadway, to West Iowa Avenue to Santa Fe Avenue. Mississippi Avenue reopened on April 28.
Mid-March 2016: Access to southbound I-25 was restricted for northbound Santa Fe drivers until late spring/early summer. The detour was eastbound Alameda to southbound Broadway to access the on-ramp to southbound I-25. A number of lane shifts also took place on Alameda and Santa Fe.
- Project News
- South Platte River Bike Trail is Now Open to the Public Mar 01, 2017
- Westbound Alameda Avenue Between Santa Fe Drive and Cherokee Street Closed Overnight Feb. 24-27 and March 3-6 Feb 24, 2017
- Upcoming full closure of westbound Alameda Avenue between Santa Fe and Cherokee Street Jan 26, 2017