US 6 Bridges Design Build Project
Overnight US 6 closure coming Saturday, May 30: On Saturday, May 30, crews will construct a new pedestrian bridge over US 6 that will connect Barnum North and South parks. The bridge will cross over US 6 between Federal Boulevard and Knox Court.
To complete this work, crews will close US 6 between Federal Boulevard and Sheridan Boulevard beginning at 10 p.m. and reopen it by 5 a.m. Westbound US 6 will close at Federal Boulevard and eastbound US 6 will close at Sheridan Boulevard.
With additional work needed after the pedestrian bridge is in place, it is scheduled to open to the public in July.
- Westbound US 6 traffic will exit at Federal Boulevard, then go south to Alameda Avenue or north to Colfax Avenue, then go west to Sheridan Boulevard and use the Sheridan Boulevard on-ramp to westbound US 6.
- Eastbound US 6 traffic will exit at Sheridan Boulevard, then go south to Alameda Avenue or north to Colfax Avenue, then go east to Federal Boulevard and use the Federal Boulevard on-ramp to eastbound US 6.
- Regional traffic should consider alternate routes around the closure, including I-70, US 285 and C-470.
Commuters are advised to use caution and drive carefully through the new traffic alignment on US 6. Lanes have been narrowed slightly and the posted speed limit reduced to 45 mph.
Ongoing traffic impacts currently in place:
- The southbound I-25 off-ramp to eastbound US 6 is closed and will reopen in summer 2015.
- The Lowell on-ramp to eastbound US 6 will remain closed until Summer 2015.
- The Bryant Street on and off-ramps are also closed for about one year for construction of the collector-distributor roads on both sides of US 6.
- The Osage Street on-ramp to westbound US 6 is closed while crews continue reconstruction of the US 6 bridges over I-25 and the BNSF railroad tracks. To detour around this closure, motorists should take Osage Street to 3rd Avenue, 3rd Avenue to Santa Fe Drive, Santa Fe Drive to 8th Avenue, 8th Avenue to Kalamath Street, and Kalamath Street south to access westbound US 6.
- All lanes on Federal Boulevard have been narrowed and southbound Federal is reduced to two lanes as efforts are under way to rebuild this bridge over US 6.
Explore Commuting Options
If you find it too stressful to drive through the US 6 corridor while it is under construction, you might want to explore alternative modes of transportation. This could include using the Regional Transportation District’s West Rail Line or bus services. Click here for information on RTD’s light rail service. For information on bus fares and schedules, click here.
Exploring carpool or vanpool services is another option you might want to pursue. Click here to access an online trip planner where you can input your starting location and destination address into a database to see if there are existing carpool or vanpool services in your area.
If biking or walking are more your speed for short trips, click here for tips on getting to your destination by foot or bicycle.
- Project Contacts