US 6 Bridges Design Build Project
For Construction Updates/Upcoming Activities:
Both eastbound and westbound US 6 traffic are in their final alignment through the project corridor. This means there are again two westbound US 6 lanes coming out of downtown to reach the western suburbs.
While getting traffic in its final alignment represents the bulk of work to be done, there will be some additional construction activities done through Dec. 1 to finish the project. These activities include:
- Final asphalt paving and lane striping work at the far west and east ends of the project corridor on US 6.
- The installation of additional ground-mounted signs and smaller signs that hang from the traffic signal wire at Federal Boulevard.
- The installation of large, overhead directional signs above lanes on both I-25 and US 6.
- Final asphalt paving work along I-25 just north and south of the US 6 bridge.
- Opening a second lane of the southbound I-25 off-ramp to westbound US 6.
- Opening another lane along the eastbound US 6 collector-distributor road to I-25.
- Final landscaping and restoration work.
At 10 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 27, the following closures will go into place and remain in place until 5 a.m. Wednesday so crews can install the large directional signs over the westbound lanes of US 6:
Westbound US 6 will close at Kalamath Street. Westbound US 6 through traffic should use 8th Avenue. Drivers on westbound US 6 wanting to access I-25 will be able to do so by going south on Kalamath to enter either northbound or southbound I-25.
The northbound and southbound I-25 ramps to westbound US 6 will close. Drivers should exit at Alameda or Colfax avenues to travel west.
With overnight temperatures dropping, some of the remaining asphalt paving work could be done during the daytime to meet the minimum temperature requirements.
- Project Contacts