Federal Boulevard & 69th Bridge Replacement over BNSF & RTD Railroads
Federal Boulevard was restored to two lanes in each direction on Nov. 18. This configuration will remain in place for the duration of the project.
Periodic night and weekend lane closures may be required. During construction, all business accesses will remain open and accessible to the public.
There will be a reduced speed limit of 35 mph that will be observed in the area, and lane and shoulder widths will be reduced.
Project Cost: $12 million
Contractor(s): Hamon Infrastructure
Construction Timeline: March 2015 - Mid-2017
In February 2015, the Colorado Department of Transportation (CDOT)—sponsored by the Bridge Enterprise Program—began reconstructing a half-mile portion of Federal Boulevard (US 287) from W 67th Avenue to West 70th Avenue, through the City of Westminster and Adams County.
The project will improve traffic flow and safety by eliminating the pinch point caused by the narrow existing bridge through the construction of a wider bridge that will accommodate an additional through-lane in each direction.
The reconstruction of this area includes the replacement of a structurally deficient and functionally obsolete bridge over the Burlington Northern Santa Fe (BNSF) Railroad and RTD Railways. The new bridge will accommodate the RTD Eagle P-3 Commuter Rail Line underneath, and will be built wider and longer.
The project will also include:
- extensive earthwork at the bridge approaches.
- extensive retaining walls.
- an asphalt overlay.
- safety improvements.
- an improved storm sewer system for better roadway drainage.
- new lighting to illuminate the recreational path underneath the bridge.
- ADA curb ramps.
As part of the project, CDOT will also be constructing enhancements and aesthetic improvements for the City of Westminster that tie into work occurring for the Westminster Station Transit-Oriented Development adjacent to the project. These enhancements include:
- decorative fencing and pedestrian railing.
- new, wider sidewalks on each side of Federal Boulevard.
- raised median planter with Westminster city logo and future sculptures.
- a new signal at Westminster Station Drive to access future RTD Eagle-P3 commuter rail station.
- improved steel fencing with water jet grass blades over bridge.
- additional lighting for Little Dry Creek pedestrian trail under new bridge.
- Contact Us
- Media Contact:
- Media Contact: