Residential Access Permits
US 34 Open Only to Emergency Vehicles & Permit Holders
A full closure of US 34 between mile points (MP) 77 and 80 is in place through the start of the 2017 Memorial Day weekend. Until then, this three-mile section of the canyon will be closed to through traffic. US 34 will remain open to drivers east of mile point 80 (near Cedar Cove) and west of mile point 77 (just east of Drake).
The only through access on US 34 during this time will be for canyon residents through a permit process. Permitted vehicles will be allowed through the canyon from 6 - 8:30 a.m. and 4 - 7 p.m. each day.
Permits are available by appointment only.
To schedule your appointment at the project office, 2305 N. County Road 29, please call us at 970-667-1005.
Note to Residents:
- Residents are allowed one permit per vehicle. (Canyon residents are defined as those living along US 34 between Mall Road and the Dam Store along County Road 43 up to Glen Haven.)
- Permits will be required for through access at mile points 77 - 80
- Access will only be allowed from 6 to 8:30 a.m. and 4 to 7 p.m. through the 2017 Memorial Day weekend.
- During these times, travel on US 34 between MP 77 and 80 will not be free-flowing, and permit holders should plan for delays as pilot cars lead vehicles in both directions through the three-mile work zone.
- At all other times, US 34 will be closed between mile points 77 and 80, and crews are scheduled to work seven days a week to meet the aggressive schedule.
- Did you know?
At least eight different entities will be working in the river concurrently with CDOT. Together, we are coordinating with regulatory agencies to ensure water quality is maintained. If you notice water quality issues, please contact the project team: 970-667-1005.