Business Center

Commercial Vehicle Permits

Don't Miss Critical Travel Alerts

CDOT has launched a new travel alerts system, and if you're among the thousands of truck drivers who signed up to receive text alerts about chain law enforcement, oversize/overweight restrictions and more, you must create a new account to continue receiving these messages.

Get started by visiting For step-by-step instructions, visit

Truck on Highway

This site is designed to provide information about rules and obtaining permits for moving extra-legal vehicles and loads through Colorado.

Extra-legal vehicles are those vehicles exceeding size and weight restrictions on Colorado highways and interstates.


Reminder: CDOT's OSOW Permit Office will be closed on Tuesday December 25, 2018 & Tuesday January 1, 2019.  There are no OS/OW travel restrictions for either holiday

**A bridge structure on US350 has been downgraded to a black rating. See details.

CDOT is now offering online interactive Pilot Escort certification classes through our vendor, RSA Network! Find information and the schedule.

You can now receive oversize/overweight-related alerts through your email and phone (via text).

All state highway structures with less than 14'6" vertical clearance may be found online.

Please Note:
CDOT now issues WASHTO Western Regional Permits (WRP). See the WRP Desk Guide. The only vehicles/loads that are eligible are those that meet the following criteria:

  • Meet the size/weight envelope found in the WRP Desk Guide.
  • The route must begin, end or travel through Colorado.

** The CDOT Permit Office has launched a new oversize/overweight permitting system (COOPR).. Please update your bookmarks.

COOPR allows for 24/7 access, fleet management and self-issue capabilities on some permits, and a routing component to assist annual permit holders with determining safe routing for their loads. CDOT no longer accepts applications by fax.

** Chain Law in effect - Sept. 1 - May 31 **

Commercial vehicles operating on I-70 in either direction between mile points 133 (Dotsero) and 259 (Morrison) must carry sufficient chains at all times to be in compliance with the Colorado Chain Law.


** DOT numbers are issued by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration.

Carriers may contact the FMCSA at 720-963-3130.

Important Reminder:

  • The new permit system has decreased the turn-around time for the issuance of oversize/overweight permits. We will not guarantee that applications received after 3 p.m. (MT) will be processed on the same business day. Applications are processed in the order in which they are received.

Our busiest days of the week are typically Mondays and Fridays. We recommend that applications be submitted early in the day to avoid delays.

E-470 Restrictions/Permits

All extra-legal vehicle drivers must contact E-470 at 303-537-3700 for travel on E-470. This contact must be made at least 48 hours prior to movement.

Filed under: ,
Truck Permit Office
  • CDOT Permit Office
    2829 W. Howard Pl.
    Denver, CO 80204
    Long Distance: 1-800-350-3765
    Local: 303-757-9539

  • Office Hours:
    7:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
    Monday - Friday
    Walk-ins welcome until 4 p.m.
    Note: Permit staff meetings are typically scheduled from 10-10:30 a.m. on Thursdays

  • Send us your suggestions.

Colorado: The Official State Web Portal