Frequently Asked Questions

How long does it take to get a Single Trip permit?

  1. The Permit Office has a 2-hour turnaround time for the issuance of Single Trip permits.  We will not guarantee that applications received after 3:00 p.m. (MT) will be processed on the same business day.  Applications are processed in the order in which they are received.

  2. The turnaround time for the issuance of Chapter 6 Specials (Superloads) is 3-5 business days.  (NOTE: due to a shortage of staff in the Bridge section and an increase in applications, it may take 2-3 weeks to process a Chapter 6 Special permit.  Please submit applications and supporting documents well in advance so the application can placed into the queue for processing.)

Our busiest days of the week are typically Mondays and Fridays.  We recommend that applications be submitted early in the day to avoid delays.


How much does an oversize overweight permit cost?
*Effective July 1, 2009 - Single Trip and Special Transport Permits issued will be assessed a surcharge equal to the amount of the permit fee pursuant to the passage of Senate Bill 09-108. A single trip permit costs $15.00*. If the vehicle or load is overweight add $5.00* per axle. For example a six-axle semi-truck/trailer with a load exceeding 80,000 pounds would cost $45.00.  Here is a complete list of the permit fees:

Single Trip Oversize  $15.00*

Single Trip Oversize/Overweight   $15 plus $5 per axle*

4 axles    $35*

5 axles    $40*

6 axles    $45*

7 axles    $50 *  and so on

Single Trip Non-Interstate Overweight Divisible (Vehicle must have a quad axle grouping)
$30 plus $10 per axle

Single Trip Non-Interstate Two/Three Axle Overweight Divisible (power unit/trailer combo, trailer must have at least two but not more than three axles) $15* + $10* per axle

Annual Oversize Permit


Annual Oversize/Overweight
Annual Overweight only
Company Fleet Permit (CFP)
base fee for first 10 vehicles
Annual CFP (each vehicle over base)
Special Permits



Superload Permits $400.00*
Fleet Base Fee


plus $25 per vehicle
LVC Permit
LVC Overweight Divisible (to be used with an LVC permit)
plus $25 per vehicle
Non-Interstate Overweight Divisible Annual (Vehicle must have a quad axle grouping)
Non-Interstate Overweight Divisible Fleet 
Plus $35 per vehicle
Non-Interstate 2/3 Axle Overweight Divisible Annual (Tractor/Trailer combo, trailer must have two or three axles) $500.00
Non-Interstate Tandem/Triple Axle Overweight Divisible Six-month permit (Tractor/Trailer combo, trailer must have two or three axles) $250.00
Credit Card Fee


per transaction per permit

Does the Oversize/Overweight (OSOW) permit that CDOT issues also permit the vehicle/load to operate on city streets, county roads or non-hazmat routes if hauling placarded amounts of hazardous materials?

No, it is the responsibility of the permittee to contact and obtain permission or the required permits from the respective cities and counties to use their roads.  The OSOW issued by CDOT is limited to the designated highways listed on the permit.

Regarding OSOW permitted loads that involve a placarded amount of hazardous materials, all statutes and regulations pertaining to hazardous materials routing must be followed.


What are the legal dimensions and maximum weight limit in Colorado?
Colorado’s legal height limit is 14'6"; all state highway structures with less than 14'6" vertical clearance may be found at: 

Maximum width is 8’6” and legal weight is 80,000 pounds Combined GVW (gross vehicle weight) on Interstate and 85,000 pounds on Non-Interstate highways. There is no overall length requirement for truck tractor semitrailer combinations as long as the trailer does not exceed 57’4”. A combination of vehicles coupled together cannot exceed four units and is limited to 70 feet in length. Call 303-757-9539 for routing questions.

Extra-Legal permits must be obtained prior to entry into Colorado or prior to movement of the vehicle/load.


How do I apply for a permit?
You must obtain OSOW permits through COOPR, our online permitting system. You may access COOPR online by going to At this site, users are able to establish their own unique user accounts 24 hours a day 7 days a week and submit permit applications once logged onto the system. 


Where can I get a permit?
All permits are issued online from COOPR. In many cases, depending upon the dimensions of the vehicle/load and the routes requested, your permit may be self-issued without intervention from a permit technician. You must purchase your permit prior to entry into the state or movement of an oversize/overweight load in Colorado. Call 303-757-9539 for more information.


How can I pay for a permit?
A credit card (Visa, MasterCard or Discover only), or through an established escrow account. There is a $4.00 service charge per permit to use a credit card. Exact change for payments made by cash is required at the CDOT offices. If you plan to order several permits, you may choose to open up an escrow account. Users are able to establish and maintain their own escrow accounts through COOPR.


How do I get a permit for a Longer Vehicle Combination?
All permits are issued online from COOPR. Our office will notify you of the documents required for obtaining Longer Vehicle Combination (LVC) permits when you apply. LVC’s are eligible for annual permit only and are limited to travel only on selected segments of the Interstate. 


Do pilot car operators in Colorado need to be certified?
Yes, you will need to complete the pilot escort course. Effective August 1, 2007, the pilot escorts must carry a minimum of $1,000,000 of either Commercial Liability or Combined Single Limit insurance - policy must indicate the coverage is for the pilot escort operations. Your driving record must be clear of any conviction of drug or alcohol related offenses and has not had a single moving violation penalty assessment of six points or more. Colorado recognizes certifications from Arizona, Florida, Minnesota, Oklahoma, Utah, Washington and the Specialized Carriers and Riggers Association.


Can I purchase an IRP 72-hour Laden Weight permit or a Fuel Tax trip permit at CDOT offices?
No, you will need to contact the first Port of Entry location on your route. Access the contact information for Port of Entry locations.