Commercial Vehicle Permits

Colorado HazMat & Nuclear Permits

Effective January 1, 2021, Colorado HazMat & Nuclear Permits will be available through CDOTs COOPR website. 

Please Note: If you currently have a hazmat or nuclear permit it is valid through the expiration date listed on your permit. You are not required to purchase a new permit until your current permit expires.

I-25 Restrictions

From CO 402 to CO 14, 11' width, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Due to the high number of infractions occurring at the following OS/OW restriction, this notice is a courtesy to all carriers. Single trip customers should read their permit carefully. Annual permit customers should use the Annual Permit Routing in COOPR before every trip.  

Truck on Highway

Don't Miss Critical Travel Alerts

CDOT has launched a new travel alerts system, and if you're among the thousands of truck drivers who signed up to receive text alerts about chain law enforcement, oversize/overweight restrictions and more, you must create a new account to continue receiving these messages. Get started by visiting

Extra-legal vehicles and loads are those vehicles and loads exceeding legal size and weight limits on Colorado interstates and highways. This page is designed to provide information about the rules and regulations of and how to obtain permits for moving extra-legal vehicles and loads through Colorado.

View Colorado Road Conditions

CDOT is now offering online interactive Pilot Escort certification classes through and Evergreen Safety Council

All state highway structures with less than 14'6" vertical clearance may be found online.

Please Note:

The CDOT Permit Office has launched a new oversize/overweight permitting system (COOPR). Please update your bookmarks.

COOPR allows for 24/7 access, fleet management and self-issue capabilities on some permits, and a routing component to assist annual permit holders with determining safe routing for their loads. CDOT no longer accepts applications by fax.

Chain Law in effect - Sept. 1 - May 31

Commercial vehicles operating on I-70 in either direction between mile points 133 (Dotsero) and 259 (Morrison) must carry sufficient chains at all times to be in compliance with the Colorado Chain Law.

** DOT numbers are issued by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration.

Carriers may contact the FMCSA at 720-963-3130.

Important Reminder:

  • The new permit system has decreased the turn-around time for the issuance of oversize/overweight permits. We will not guarantee that applications received after 3 p.m. (MT) will be processed on the same business day. Applications are processed in the order in which they are received.

Our busiest days of the week are typically Mondays and Fridays. We recommend that applications be submitted early in the day to avoid delays.

E-470 Restrictions/Permits

All extra-legal vehicle drivers must contact E-470 at 303-537-3727 for travel on E-470. This contact must be made at least 48 hours prior to movement.