C-470 Express Lanes
The Project officially began construction on November 1, 2016. Travelers should now see new signage, construction equipment, and increased activity along mainline C-470 between Lucent and Quebec. Temporary concrete barrier has been set along the shoulder to allow workers to safely perform work such as clearing and grubbing, installation of conduit for Intelligent Transportation System (ITS) equipment, potholing for utilities, surveying, and geotechnical drilling for soil testing. The intersection at Broadway and mainline C-470 between Quebec and Lucent have been restriped and bridge foundation work is underway at Broadway and University.
Activities and Lane Closures for 2/19/17 - 2/25/17*
Daytime Lane Closures:
- Monday - Wednesday (2/20 - 2/22) from 9:00am - 3:30pm: Left turn lane closure on Broadway for bridge pier concrete work.
- Monday - Wednesday, and Friday (2/20 - 2/22, and 2/24) 9:00am - 1:00pm: Double left lane closure on University for bridge pier formwork.
Nighttime Lane Closures:
- Sunday - Thursday (2/19 - 2/23) 10:00pm - 5:30am: Alternating single right/left lane closure on mainline C-470 east and westbound for traffic control device maintenance and median widening earthwork.
- Monday - Tuesday (2/20 - 2/21) 7:00pm - 5:30am: Eastbound left lane closure on mainline C-470 for cable barrier maintenance.
- Thursday (2/23) 8:00pm - 2:00am: Westbound left lane closure on mainline C-470 for potholing.
Please be cautious and watch for signage to guide you through construction areas. *Keep in mind, all work is weather dependent and subject to change.
See a brief overview of the September 2016 open house.
The C-470 Express Lanes project will increase mobility and user choice along 12.5 miles of C-470 between I-25 and Wadsworth Boulevard. The $276 million project includes the following improvements:
- Mobility Improvements:
- Two additional westbound Express Lanes constructed from I-25 to Colorado Boulevard, and one additional Express Lane from Colorado Boulevard to Wadsworth.
- One additional eastbound Express Lane constructed along the length of the project, between I-25 and Wadsworth Boulevard.
- Additional safety and infrastructure improvements:
- full reconstruction of existing pavement
- new auxiliary lanes at selected locations
- on- and off-ramp improvements
- realignment of substandard curves
- widening of existing bridges
- replacing the bridges over the South Platte River
The project is funded by $110.6 million in combined state and federal funding, and $10 million from Douglas County. The remainder will be funded via a loan repaid by toll revenues from the Express Lanes.
About Express Lanes
The C-470 Express Lanes project will add Express Lanes in addition to the existing, free general-purpose lanes. Drivers will always have a choice of using the free existing lanes or paying a toll to use the Express Lane.
There will be no HOV/carpool lanes within the C-470 corridor.
Express Lanes increase roadway capacity and help to manage congestion on highways. The use of toll pricing during peak travel times reduces delays, manages congestion and maintains reliable travel times. Express Lanes are currently open on:
- I-25 from Speer to US 36;
- I-25 from US 36 to 120th Avenue;
- US 36, from Denver to Boulder; and
- I-70, from Idaho Springs to Empire.
For more information, visit CDOT's Express Lanes website.
You can also find lane closure information any time.