C-470 Express Lanes
Project construction officially started on November 1, 2016. Travelers should now see new signage, construction equipment, and increased activity along mainline C-470 between Lucent and Quebec.
Temporary concrete barrier has been set along the shoulder to allow workers to safely perform work such as earthwork, installation of conduit for Intelligent Transportation System (ITS) equipment, soil compaction for the future trail and road-widening work, drainage operations, detour paving, potholing for utilities, surveying and geotechnical drilling for soil testing. The Broadway and mainline C-470 intersection between Quebec and Lucent has been restriped, and bridge foundation work is underway at Broadway, University, and Big Dry Creek.
New bridge girders have been set at the Broadway and University bridges for bridge widening and erection of girders for Big Dry Creek widening is anticipated for early May. Parts of the Centennial Trail between Broadway and Big Dry Creek have been relocated with asphalt pavement. Be sure to follow detour signs and obey flaggers when present.
Activities and Lane Closures for 4/28/17 - 5/6/17*
Daytime Lane Closures
- Friday (4/28) 8:30am-3:30pm: North and southbound alternating left and right lane closures on Acres Green for bird surveying and netting installation.
- Friday (4/28) 9am-3:30pm: North and southbound right land and sidewalk closure on Broadway for slope paving.
- Friday (4/28) 8:30am-3:30pm: Alternating right and left closure of turn pocket on northbound Yosemite for bird surveying and net installation.
- Monday (5/1) - Friday (5/5) 8:30am-3:30pm: Northbound and southbound alternating right and left single lane closures at Acres Green for bird surveying and netting installation.
- Monday (5/1) - Friday (5/5) 9am-3:30pn: Alternating right and left turn pocket closures on northbound Yosemite for bird surveying and netting installation.
- Monday (5/1) - Tuesday (5/2) 9am-3:30pm: Inside left turn pocket closure on southbound Broadway for bridge construction.
- Monday (5/1) - Wednesday (5/3): 9am-1pm: Southbound University double left lane closures due to bridge construction.
- Thursday (5/4) - Friday (5/5) 8am-3:30pm: Northbound Colorado right lane closure for bridge utility inspection.
Nighttime Lane Closures
- Friday (4/28) 10pm-5:30am: Alternating right and left lane closures on east and westbound C-470 for median widening earthwork, setting of concrete barrier, and safety feature repair and deck construction on the Broadway bridge.
- Friday (4/28) 7pm-5am: Double left lane closures on north and southbound Broadway for bridge deck construction, ITS potholing, and boring for crossing.
- Sunday (4/30) - Saturday (5/6) 10pm-5:30am: East and westbound alternating right and left single lane closures on C-470 for concrete barrier demo, median widening earthwork, and Broadway bridge deck demo.
- Sunday (4/30) - Saturday (5/6) 7pm-5am: North and southbound Broadway alternating double left and right lane closures and sidewalk closures due to Broadway bridge deck construction and demo.
- Monday (5/1) - Saturday (5/6) 7pm-5am: North and southbound alternating right and left double lane closures at University and sidewalk closures for bridge deck construction.
- Tuesday (5/2) - Thursday (5/4) 10pm-5:30am: Westbound C-470 right lane closure due to variable message sign maintenance.
Note: The traffic control supervisor determines if closures need to be adjusted to provide a safe method of handling traffic conditions if curves, hills, etc. are present. *All lane closures are weather dependent.
See a brief overview of the April 2017 open house.
The C-470 Express Lanes project will increase mobility and user choice along 12.5 miles of C-470 between I-25 and Wadsworth Boulevard. The $276 million project includes the following improvements:
- Mobility Improvements:
- Two additional westbound Express Lanes constructed from I-25 to Colorado Boulevard, and one additional Express Lane from Colorado Boulevard to Wadsworth.
- One additional eastbound Express Lane constructed along the length of the project, between I-25 and Wadsworth Boulevard.
- Additional safety and infrastructure improvements:
- full reconstruction of existing pavement
- new auxiliary lanes at selected locations
- on- and off-ramp improvements
- realignment of substandard curves
- widening of existing bridges
- replacing the bridges over the South Platte River
The project is funded by $110.6 million in combined state and federal funding, and $10 million from Douglas County. The remainder will be funded via a loan repaid by toll revenues from the Express Lanes.
About Express Lanes
The C-470 Express Lanes project will add Express Lanes in addition to the existing, free general-purpose lanes. Drivers will always have a choice of using the free existing lanes or paying a toll to use the Express Lane.
There will be no HOV/carpool lanes within the C-470 corridor.
Express Lanes increase roadway capacity and help to manage congestion on highways. The use of toll pricing during peak travel times reduces delays, manages congestion and maintains reliable travel times. Express Lanes are currently open on:
- I-25 from Speer to US 36;
- I-25 from US 36 to 120th Avenue;
- US 36, from Denver to Boulder; and
- I-70, from Idaho Springs to Empire.
For more information, visit CDOT's Express Lanes website.
You can also find lane closure information any time.