C-470 Express Lanes
The Project officially began construction on November 1, 2016. Travelers should now see new signage, construction equipment, and increased activity along mainline C-470 between Lucent and Quebec. Temporary concrete barrier has been set along the shoulder to allow workers to safely perform work such as earthwork, installation of conduit for Intelligent Transportation System (ITS) equipment, soil compaction for the future trail road-widening work, potholing for utilities, surveying, and geotechnical drilling for soil testing. The intersection at Broadway and mainline C-470 between Quebec and Lucent have been restriped and bridge foundation work is underway at Broadway, University, and Big Dry Creek. Parts of the Centennial Trail between Broadway and Big Dry Creek have been realigned with asphalt pavement. Be sure to follow detour signs and obey flaggers when present.
Activities and Lane Closures for 3/19/2017 - 3/25/2017*
Daytime Lane Closures:
- Wednesday -Thursday (3/22-3/23) 9am-1pm: Double right lane closures at University and sidewalk closures for concrete pour.
- Wednesday-Thursday (3/22-3/23) 9am-3:30pm: Single right lane closure on northbound Broadway and sidewalk closures.
- Friday (3/24) 9am-3:30pm: Single right lane closure on southbound Broadway and sidewalk closures. *NEW* Also double right lane and sidewalk closure at University for concrete pour.
Nighttime Lane Closures:
- FULL CLOSURE AT BROADWAY Wednesday & Thursday (3/22, 3/23) 8pm-5am - SEE DETOUR INFO BELOW.
- Friday (3/25) 10pm-5:30am: Alternating right and left lane closures on EB and WB C-470 for median earth work and traffic control device maintenance.
Note: Traffic Control Supervisor determines if closures need to be adjusted in order to provide safe method of handling traffic conditions if curves, hills, etc. are present. *All lane closures are weather dependent.
*Full Closure of EB/WB C-470 at Broadway and NB/SB Broadway March 22 & 23*
- What: Broadway and eastbound/westbound C-470 at the Broadway Bridge will be closed for girder installation
- When: Wednesday and Thursday, March 22nd and 23rd
- Closure Times: 10pm - 5am on C-470 and 8pm-5am on Broadway
- Detour* for C-470 east and westbound traffic will occur on Broadway on- and off-ramps to return to C-470.
- Detour* for northbound Broadway traffic will be to eastbound C-470 with exit at University and turnaround to westbound C-470.
- Detour* for southbound Broadway traffic will be westbound C-470 to Lucent exit and turnaround to eastbound C-470.
*FOLLOW DETOUR SIGNS ACCORDINGLY.
See a brief overview of the September 2016 open house.
The C-470 Express Lanes project will increase mobility and user choice along 12.5 miles of C-470 between I-25 and Wadsworth Boulevard. The $276 million project includes the following improvements:
- Mobility Improvements:
- Two additional westbound Express Lanes constructed from I-25 to Colorado Boulevard, and one additional Express Lane from Colorado Boulevard to Wadsworth.
- One additional eastbound Express Lane constructed along the length of the project, between I-25 and Wadsworth Boulevard.
- Additional safety and infrastructure improvements:
- full reconstruction of existing pavement
- new auxiliary lanes at selected locations
- on- and off-ramp improvements
- realignment of substandard curves
- widening of existing bridges
- replacing the bridges over the South Platte River
The project is funded by $110.6 million in combined state and federal funding, and $10 million from Douglas County. The remainder will be funded via a loan repaid by toll revenues from the Express Lanes.
About Express Lanes
The C-470 Express Lanes project will add Express Lanes in addition to the existing, free general-purpose lanes. Drivers will always have a choice of using the free existing lanes or paying a toll to use the Express Lane.
There will be no HOV/carpool lanes within the C-470 corridor.
Express Lanes increase roadway capacity and help to manage congestion on highways. The use of toll pricing during peak travel times reduces delays, manages congestion and maintains reliable travel times. Express Lanes are currently open on:
- I-25 from Speer to US 36;
- I-25 from US 36 to 120th Avenue;
- US 36, from Denver to Boulder; and
- I-70, from Idaho Springs to Empire.
For more information, visit CDOT's Express Lanes website.
You can also find lane closure information any time.