April 19-20 I-70 to Sixth Street Night Detours Postponed to April 25-26
Crews have postponed an overnight detour of traffic from both directions of I-70 onto Sixth Street to 8 p.m. Tuesday, April 25 through 6 a.m. Wednesday, April 26.
Weekly Construction Update
Traffic impacts span from the Exit 114 interchange to the Grand Avenue Bridge. Please go slow for the cone zone, shift your schedule when possible and allow extra time from 7:30-8:30 a.m. Thank you for your patience as we complete critical path work for the Aug. 14 detour.
I-70 Approaching Exit 116 Intermittent 15-minute Holds
Monday to Wednesday (4/17-4/19), from 7 a.m. - 5 p.m., motorists should anticipate 15-minute intermittent holds on both eastbound and westbound I-70 approaching Exit 116. These holds are necessary for safety critical overhead work over I-70 for the new traffic bridge.
I-70 Night Detour to Sixth Street: 8 p.m. Tuesday, April 25 - 6 a.m. Wednesday, April 26
All I-70 traffic (eastbound and westbound) will be detoured onto east Sixth Street. Both eastbound and westbound traffic will merge into a one-lane configuration and will be detoured through Sixth Street in Glenwood Springs via a break-in-barrier on I-70 near Yampah Vapor Caves. The Grand Avenue Bridge will be closed during this time.
Keep an eye on our Facebook page for updated traffic impacts throughout the week.
Asphalt Overlay Schedule Announced
Beginning Monday, Apr. 17, crews will begin improving 40 pedestrian ramps and replacing 5,600-feet of guardrail along US 6. These activities are part of a 2-month paving overlay project that will improve three areas:
- US 6 from just west of Storm King Drive to the CO-82 intersection (green on the schedule)
- Midland Avenue from Devereux Road to Eighth Street (red on the schedule)
- The downtown detour squareabout route (purple on the schedule)
Crews are scheduled to begin paving the US 6 corridor in May. Stay tuned for an updated schedule and traffic impacts associated with this scope.
Intersection Work on Grand Avenue Continues
- Monday, April 17: Eighth Street from Cooper to Grand avenues will be closed.
- Tuesday, April 18: Eighth Street between Colorado and Grand avenues will be closed.
I-70 Exit 116 Eastbound On-Ramp Closures
The I-70 Exit 116 eastbound on-ramp will be closed from 5:30-9:30 a.m., Monday through Friday, through April. Please use westbound I-70 to Exit 114, and turn around at the interchange.
I-70 Exit 114 Roundabout Work (Through June)
The I-70 Exit 114 roundabout work continues. Morning delays are anticipated in the Exit 114 interchange. Metering will take place during morning peak travel hours.
I-70 Exit 116 Eastbound On-ramp Merge Area Reduced to One-lane
Beginning Monday, April 24, the I-70 Exit 116 eastbound on-ramp merge point will be reduced to one lane. This lane closure will be in place for several months as crews access pedestrian bridge piers from the wirewall for masonry work.
- Project News
- Two-Month Grand Avenue Bridge Paving Work Begins Week of April 17 Apr 13, 2017
- Intersection work begins downtown in April, I-70 Exit 114 and Exit 116 work begins on Grand Avenue Bridge project Mar 31, 2017
- Regional Contractor Conference Call regarding Grand Avenue Bridge Detour Friday, March 10, 2017 - 10:00am Mar 08, 2017
- Grand Avenue Bridge steel girder erection schedule Feb 14, 2017
- CDOT gives notice-to-proceed to build Eighth Street connection Aug 31, 2016
- TRAVEL ADVISORY UPDATE: I-70 Glenwood Canyon closure on track for tomorrow Aug 09, 2016
- Good News: I-70 Night Detour and GAB Closure Canceled Tonight Jul 29, 2016
- Advisory: Limited Glenwood Canyon Recreational Use July 18-22 Jul 13, 2016
- 8th Street Connection Work to Begin Soon Jul 07, 2016
- Closures, Detours Announced for Grand Avenue Pedestrian Bridge Work Jul 06, 2016
- TRAVEL ADVISORY – Change in Schedule- Grand Avenue Bridge Mar 23, 2016
- Glenwood Springs eastbound exit 116 ramp closures; I-70 eastbound closure at exit 116 Mar 21, 2016
- Traffic Impacts and Construction Updates for the week of Mar. 17 – Mar. 26 Mar 17, 2016
- SH 82 Grand Avenue Bridge Traffic Advisory Mar 14, 2016
- Grand Avenue Bridge and Glenwood Canyon project impacts: I-70 exit 116 eastbound closure, daytime closure of canyon and I-70 night detour Mar 03, 2016
- Grand Avenue Bridge project team hosts public open house Jan 06, 2016
- CDOT releases preliminary schedule for Grand Avenue Bridge Nov 27, 2015
- Transportation Commission green lights Grand Avenue Bridge project Nov 19, 2015
- SH 82/Grand Avenue Bridge Finding of No Significant Impact has been finalized Jun 02, 2015
- SH 82/Grand Avenue Bridge Environmental Assessment Comment Period has been Extended Nov 26, 2014
- Grand Avenue Bridge Environmental Assessment Public Hearing scheduled for next week Nov 13, 2014
- Stakeholder Groups Provided Feedback on Grand Avenue Bridge Project Design Features Mar 21, 2014
- Grand Avenue Bridge Project to Engage Public in Refining Design Features Feb 21, 2014
- Lane closures begin tomorrow on Grand Avenue Bridge Jan 15, 2014
- Repairs on SH 82 Grand Avenue Bridge Next Week Nov 06, 2013
- SH 82 Grand Avenue Pedestrian Bridge “Story Poling” Event Tomorrow Oct 15, 2013
- Grand Ave. Bridge Project Team Highlights 6th & Laurel Evaluation Process Oct 09, 2013
- 8th Street Detour for Grand Avenue Bridge Project under Development Oct 01, 2013
- Grand Ave. Bridge EA - Enthusiastic Support for the New Pedestrian Bridge Type Aug 20, 2013
- Over 1,500 People Have Viewed Grand Avenue Bridge Model Aug 02, 2013
- SH 82 Grand Avenue Bridge Model on Display Jul 10, 2013
- SH 82 Grand Avenue Bridge Design Concepts Considered by Stakeholders May 31, 2013
- SH 82 Grand Avenue Bridge Environmental Assessment Moving Forward May 06, 2013
- SH 82 Grand Avenue Bridge “Story Poling” Event Planned for March 7 Feb 28, 2013
- Good Participation at SH 82 Grand Ave. Bridge Public Open House Jan 10, 2013
- SH 82 Grand Ave. Bridge Team Includes New Pedestrian Bridge Dec 11, 2012
- SH 82 Grand Avenue Bridge Stakeholders Discuss Bridge Types and Pedestrian Access Nov 15, 2012
- SH 82 Grand Ave. Bridge Team Announces Traffic Simulations on Web Oct 19, 2012
- SH 82 Grand Ave. Bridge: Preferred Alignment Identified Sep 10, 2012
- SH 82 Grand Avenue Bridge Open House Invited Community to Comment on Alternatives Aug 23, 2012
- PROJECT OPEN HOUSE - SH 82 Grand Avenue Bridge Project Aug 19, 2012
- CDOT Holding Open House August 22 for State Highway 82 Grand Avenue Bridge Aug 09, 2012
- Public Workshop for Downtown Glenwood Springs Projects Jul 30, 2012
- Community Input is Shaping Grand Avenue Bridge Project Jul 24, 2012
- SH 82 Grand Ave. Bridge Environmental Assessment Points to Two Main Alternatives, with Variations Jun 27, 2012
- SH 82 Grand Ave. Bridge - Good Public Participation Jun 07, 2012
- State Highway 82 Glenwood Springs Access Plan Jun 06, 2012
- SH 82 Grand Ave. Bridge - Public Participation May 31, 2012
- SH 82 Grand Avenue Bridge Public Open House & Presentation on June 6 May 23, 2012
- Community Input Helps SH 82 Grand Avenue Bridge Project May 04, 2012
- Community Weighs in on SH 82 Grand Avenue Bridge Alternatives Apr 05, 2012
- SH 82 Grand Ave Bridge Public Participation Apr 04, 2012
- Media Invitation: Project Status Briefing, Grand Avenue Bridge Project Mar 29, 2012
- CDOT Evaluating Grand Avenue Bridge Alternatives Mar 15, 2012
- Stakeholders Review Alternatives for Grand Ave. Bridge Feb 19, 2012
- Grand Avenue Bridge Study Underway Nov 10, 2011