Access Permits | Frequently Asked Questions

Why do I need an access permit? I already have access.

  • When there is an anticipated change in use of the property CDOT needs an Access Permit Application to determine if additional access improvements are necessary based upon traffic generation. Additionally, the existing access may have fallen into disrepair or may not meet current design standards. CDOT works closely with the local jurisdictions regarding proposed land uses to ensure that both access and land use approvals are being administered as required by law.

How do I apply for an Access Permit?

  • The application for access permit can be downloaded from the CDOT website here: CDOT 0137, or obtained from any Regional office.

What do you mean I can’t have an access to the state highway?

  • All state highways are assigned an access category. Some categories require access to be obtained from a lesser street or by easement from a parent parcel whenever possible for the purposes of safety. When access traffic is directed to a local street or through an easement to an existing access, this reduces the number of conflict points on the highway making the highway safer.

Do I need an access permit for a house I want to build?

  • If you want the house to have direct access off of the state highway, then you will need an access permit. CDOT has 3 levels of access permits based upon the size of the anticipated development. Level 1 permits are for Single-family residential/agricultural permits, Level 2 permits are for commercial property permits and those in excess of 20 vehicular trips per day without roadway improvements, and Level 3 permits are for commercial property permits requiring roadway improvements.

Why do I need to construct improvements to the state highway?

  • CDOT evaluates the traffic impacts from the development onto the state highway system. Auxiliary lanes (turn lanes) are required for the purpose of safety when the peak hour traffic volumes exceed the thresholds that require a particular auxiliary lane installation.

What is an Access Control Line or A-line?

  • An A-Line, or access restriction deed is a property right that has been obtained by CDOT for the sole purpose of prohibiting direct access to the highway. A-lines are generally obtained on major highways, interstates, near interchanges and near larger intersections. The main function of the A-line is to prohibit access for the purposes of safety and operation.

How can I determine my traffic impact?

  • CDOT helps identify the traffic impacts for smaller developments. For larger developments, CDOT requires a professional traffic engineering firm to provide a Traffic Impact Study that identifies daily and peak hour traffic volumes, the type of vehicle use, and possibly intersection performance.

Does CDOT construct the required improvements?

  • No, the Permittee is solely responsible for the cost of design and construction of any roadway improvements required with the issuance of an access permit.

Where do I get a Traffic Control Plan

  • From most barricade or traffic control companies located in the phone book. They employ certified Traffic Control Supervisors (TCS) who can generate and certify the traffic control plan. These companies also rent traffic control devices such as construction signs and traffic cones.

What is a Permittee?

  • The Permittee is defined as “any person, unit of government, public agency or any other entity that owns a fee interest in the property served, to whom an access permit is issued. The Permittee is responsible for fulfilling all the terms and conditions of the permit.”

Is there a way I can determine if CDOT will give me a permit for my proposed development before I buy the property?

  • Yes, you will need to have the land owner sign the permit application as the Permittee, and you sign the permit as the Applicant or Agent for the Permittee. CDOT will review the application and can transmit the permit for signature. The Access Permit transfers with the sale of the property.

How much does an Access Permit cost?

  • Three permit fee ranges exist. Level 1, or Single-family residential/agricultural permits are $50; Level 2, or commercial property permits and those in excess of 20 vehicular trips per day without roadway improvements are $100; and Level 3 or commercial property permits requiring roadway improvements are $300. No fees are charged to local government applications or political subdivisions. There is no upfront charge to review an Access Permit Application. After CDOT writes the Permit it is transmitted to the Permittee for signature. The signed Permit and Permit Fee is then sent to CDOT. Upon receipt, of these items, CDOT issues the Access Permit.