Division of Transit & Rail
The Division of Transit & Rail was created by state legislation in 2009. The Division is responsible for the planning, development, operation, and integration of transit and rail into the statewide transportation system. This is consistent with CDOT’s mission of providing “the best multimodal transportation system for Colorado that most effectively and safely moves people, goods and information.”
In addition, the Division works in coordination with other transit and rail providers to plan, promote, and implement investments in transit and rail services statewide. To accomplish this, the Division developed the Colorado State Freight and Passenger Rail Plan approved by the Colorado Transportation Commission in March 2012. With the development of the State Rail Plan, CDOT is now eligible for Federal Railroad Administration funds.
A Statewide Transit Plan has been developed and is in the final stages of completion. The Statewide Transit Plan identifies local, interregional, and statewide transit and passenger rail needs and priorities. Both of these required plans will be integrated into the long-range Statewide Transportation Plan.
Other responsibilities of the Division include:
- Design, build, finance, operate, maintain and contract for transit services, such as bus, passenger rail, and advanced guide-way system services
- Administer and expend state and federal funds for:
- Construction, maintenance and operation of interregional transit, advanced guide-way, and passenger rail services
- Transit projects including, but not limited to, facilities, equipment, services and provision of grants to transit operators
- Coordinate and negotiate with the railroads
- Support CDOT in representing the state with respect to the development of intercity rail facilities, including high speed rail projects
- Coordinate and cooperate with regional transportation authorities
The Division of Transit and Rail is integral in providing a multimodal transportation system to meet Colorado’s transportation challenges now and in the future. Primary functions of the Division included:
- Administration of the Federal Grant Program
- Administration of the State Grant Program (FASTER)
- Transit and Rail Planning
- Agency and Stakeholder Coordination
- Compliance with Federal Requirements
- Performance and Asset Management
Guiding Principles for Transit Planning at CDOT
- When planning and designing for future transportation improvements, CDOT will consider the role of transit in meeting the mobility needs of the multimodal transportation system. CDOT will facilitate increased modal options and interface to facilities for all transportation system users.
- CDOT will consider the role of transit in maintaining, maximizing and expanding system capacity and extending the useful life of existing transportation facilities, networks and right-of-way.
- CDOT will promote system connectivity and transit mobility by linking networks of local, regional and interstate transportation services.
- CDOT will work towards integrating transit to support economic growth and development, and the state’s economic vitality. CDOT will pursue transit investments that support economic goals in an environmentally responsible manner.
- CDOT will establish collaborative partnerships with local agencies, transit providers, the private sector and other stakeholders to meet the state’s transit needs through open and transparent processes.
- CDOT will advocate for state and federal support of transit in Colorado including dedicated, stable and reliable funding sources for transit. Through partnerships, CDOT will leverage the limited transit funds available and seek new dollars for transit in Colorado.
- Going Lean
"Everyone, Every day, Improving Every Process and Every Product, for Every Customer"
At the Colorado Department of Transportation we use Lean to help us deliver excellent services and programs to our citizens through the improvement of our operations. Everyone, every day is involved in enhancing the services and programs provided to our fellow citizens. At CDOT, we use Lean and our existing resources to create more value in the work we do on a daily basis to ensure our processes are effective and impactful.