As part of CDOT’s mission to “provide the best multi-modal transportation system for Colorado that most effectively and safely moves people, goods and information”, CDOT’s Sustainability Program is committed to developing and supporting a sustainable organization and transportation system.
While providing an effective and safe multi-modal transportation system and organization, CDOT will (with the support of the CDOT Sustainability Council):
- Strive to reduce its emissions, waste, energy use, and water consumption to preserve and enhance human, environmental, and fiscal health.
- Maximize and promote efficient resource use, reuse, recycling, and repurposing.
All CDOT employees and those working with CDOT are encouraged to become acquainted with and implement the strategies outlined in the CDOT Sustainability Program. CDOT will continue to comply with State requirements, continue to improve its environmental performance, and endeavor to be a leader in sustainable efforts.
Fiscal Year Accomplishments and Action Items:
- Fiscal Year 2015 Accomplishments
- Fiscal Year 2016 Action Items
- Fiscal Year 2016 Accomplishments (living document)
- Fiscal Year 2017 Action Plan (living document)
Energy Management Plan (Completed October 2010)
- Discusses challenges for CDOT, efficiency recommendations, and monitoring suggestions.
- Determine the feasibility of energy performance contracting for all owned facilities
- CDOT Procedural Directives 9.0 and 9.2 address proper and efficient motor vehicle fleet management and replacement.
Employee Commuting Options (Completed December 2010)
Paper Consumption Reduction Plan (Completed January 2011)
- Summarizes existing CDOT reduction actions, e.g. double-sided default printing and encouraging scanning
Water Conservation Opportunities Plan (Completed March 2011)
- Summarizes information regarding conservation opportunities in CDOT facilities, construction operations, and maintenance operations, through the Regional Project Environmental Managers, Maintenance Superintendents, Professional Engineer III's, Property Management, and Area Engineers.
CDOT Facility Recycling and Waste Reduction Plan (Completed June 2011)
- Summarizes recycling opportunities for common items utilized within CDOT, e.g. consumables (paper, ink cartridges, etc.), batteries, and light bulbs
- More information on Colorado Greening Government and the Greening Government Leadership Council can be found at: http://greengov.state.co.
- The 2015 Greening of State Government Executive Order Executive Order is located at: https://www.colorado.gov/
pacific/sites/default/files/ Greening%20Govt.%20E.O.%20-% 20signed.pdf
- Colorado Energy Office - Greening Government
- US DOT Sustainability Page
- 2015 Colorado Climate Plan
- Sarah Mitchell
Sustainability Program Manager
- Sarah Mitchell